Rural Event 2014 – Benalla
a celebration of the Regent Honeyeater Project 20 Year Anniversary
Saturday 6th December and Sunday 7th December – The Rural event featured the work of the Regent Honeyeater Project in the Lurg Hills near Benalla. The Bjarne K Dahl Trust partnered with us again for this event.
Activities included a field trip to the nursery, bus tour of revegetation sites, celebratory dinner with guest speaker Cathy McGowan, MP, and nest box monitoring.
Rural Event Program – this is for the whole weekend of activities.
The Regent Honeyeater Project is one of the best examples of grassroots, community-driven landscape restoration projects in all of Australia. It is led by Ray Thomas who has worked passionately on this project for 20 years, supported by a dedicated committee of community members.
Rural Event 2012 – Castlemaine
slow food, good walks, celebrity speakers and fun activities in beautiful country
Friday 12th October and Saturday 13th October – a showcase of environmental activities in a rural setting giving people the opportunity to participate, experience and learn. The event was organised with support and cooperation from the Bjarne K Dahl Trust.
- Indigenous welcome and smoking ceremony
- wheel cactus injecting with Ian Grenda from the Tarrengower Cactus Control Committee
- walk and talk with landholder
- Eucalypt identification with author Leon Costermans and Leon Bren from the Dahl Trust
- botanical illustration with local artists Peggy Shaw and Rhyll Plant
- bird watching with experts including Chris Tzaros from Birdlife and ecologist Peter Menkhorst
- dinner with guest speaker David Hollands on Sixty Years of Bird Photography
- special talk by Raimond Gaita, author of Romulus My Father on the swamp where the book is based